Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Firefly season

Or lightning bugs as we used to call them when I was little...

A very slow but quite enjoyable 5 miles just now in Riverside Park. First three super-slow, quite pleasant but mildly marred by tired legs, slight indigestion, painful underarm chafing from a cap-sleeved hard-seamed pink shirt that I do not usually wear but plucked from the shelf because I wanted something light-colored for running at dusk. (No cars in the park, but lots of cyclists, I do not want one of 'em to crash into me!) Last two a tiny bit faster and really most enjoyable.

On the way back I noticed the huge and awe-inspiring array of bike racks in the soon-to-be transition area for this weekend's race!

Resolution: the first couple months of marathon training are going to be fairly difficult, it will be hot and there will be a certain number of treadmill days. I must just do the miles, even if they are slower than I'd like, and adjust expected pace accordingly...

3 comments:

Leah said...

Yep, the lightning bugs are out in full force here too. Thank you so much for such thoughtful comments on my recent post. Yes, I'm sure stress played a big part in my performance this weekend, and also perhaps in my reaction! I'm feeling much better now... writing about it helped.

Unknown said...

Fireflies!!! As a child I used to love catching them & putting them in jars, watching them glow, then releasing them.

And yes, just get the training done. Fall will bring quicker runs and cooler weather!

Brent Buckner said...

Have to do the miles to get the results. Not so bad, really - I suppose if that weren't the case we'd probably be doing something else.